Job Title Associate Archivist - Research
Job ID 23382
Location Geneva, Switzerland
Salary Grade P2
Hardship Level H
Family Location Type Family
Procedures and Eligibility
Before submitting an application, UNHCR staff members intending to apply to this Job Opening are requested to consult the Recruitment and Assignments Policy (RAP, UNHCR/HCP/2017/2 and the Recruitment and Assignments Administrative Instruction (RAAI), UNHCR/AI/2017/7 OF 15 August 2017.
Duties and Qualifications
Organizational Setting and Work Relationships
This job may exist in HQ, Bureau, or Country Operations. The incumbent may report to the Records and Archives Section, a Bureau or a country operation. In both cases, the job should follow the Records and Archives policies, standards, and guidance. The incumbent may supervise staff and work in partnership with other information management related functions. The role is to implement best practices for managing UNHCR's information during the complete lifecycle, from the planning and creation stage until the disposition of temporary information or ipreservation in UNHCR's archives.
All UNHCR staff members are accountable to perform their duties as reflected in their job description. They do so within their delegated authorities, in line with the regulatory framework of UNHCR which includes the UN Charter, UN Staff Regulations and Rules, UNHCR Policies and Administrative Instructions as well as relevant accountability frameworks. In addition, staff members are required to discharge their responsibilities in a manner consistent with the core, functional, cross-functional and managerial competencies and UNHCR's core values of professionalism, integrity and respect for diversity.
These are the expected duties for all P2 archivist
- Implement programs for the organization, preservation, integrity, authenticity, and accessibility of records.
- Apply UNHCR's access policy to information and archives.
- Assist in the implementation and administration of records management, archives, and digital preservation platforms
- Assist in developing guidance and best practices on information and records and archives management.
- Apply records schedules to physical and digital records
- Assist in the development and implementation of strategies for the digitization of physical records for access and preservation.
- Assist units and offices in HQ and Field to transfer physical and digital information of long-term value.
- Participate in outreach activities
- Perform other duties related to the management of information and records, and archives.
The lists below show additional duties is the job focuses on
a) Records management
- Facilitate the implementation of the records and archives management policy and advise on information governance for digital and physical material.
- Provide training on how to manage information, transfer knowledge, and use institutional memory.
- Contribute to the development of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs on information and records and archives management),
- Oversee the disposition process;
- Contribute to the creation of MS Teams or Share Point sites and map content to e-SAFE or other records and archives management systems.
- Support Records Management focal points.
- Promote information governance best practices.
- Identify and provide context on material for the Archives in digital and physical format and facilitate the transfer.
b) Research and access
- Manage and document communications with internal and external researchers seeking access to UNHCR's information resources.
- Advise researchers on the availability of and restrictions on archives collections, offering guidance to identify relevant research content where required.
- Conduct on-demand research on behalf of UNHCR staff members when necessary, assisting and advising on archives collections of relevance to their subject.
- Take the lead in conducting declassification activities following UNHCR access policy.
- Analyze research trends to anticipate future access demand and to assist in resource allocation.
- Coordinate and participate in the supervision of researchers in the archives reading room.
- Undertake archival description tasks and creation of finding aids.
- Undertake catalog development tasks including preparing data for upload to UNHCR's archives catalog, improving existing catalog descriptions where required.
c) Digital preservation
- Responsible for the day to day running of web archive service
- Assist in pre-ingest preparation of data sets
- Assist in secure transfer of data sets
- Assist in the implementation of the Digital Preservation System (DPS)
- Assist in the management of digital curation and preservation tasks, looking at critical functions within DPS, in particular, the preparation of Submission Information Packages for the Digital Preservation -System
- Assist in ingest of electronic content into the DPS
- Assist in planning and assessment of Digitization projects
- Assist in the development of policies and procedures relating to Digital Preservation
- Assist in integrations between the DPS and other critical UNHCR systems
- Participate in the management of long term preservation projects with DIST and external parties
- Assist in the development of additional RAS initiatives related to the care of born-digital materials
Education & Professional Work Experience
Years of Experience / Degree Level
For P2/NOB - 3 years relevant experience with Undergraduate degree; or 2 years relevant experience with Graduate degree; or 1 year relevant experience with Doctorate degree
Field(s) of Education
Information Management; Archival management; History;
or other relevant Field.
(Field(s) of Education marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Certificates and/or Licenses
(Certificates and Licenses marked with an asterisk* are essential)
Relevant Job Experience
3 years of experience in progressively responsible functions in relation to archives and records management in a large organisation that deals with both sensitive and non-sensitive materials. Experience with Enterprise Content Management systems with Records Management capacity. Sound operational knowledge and experience of office automation and electronic records management. Experience with digital archives with knowledge of current trends, tools, best practices, policy development, and issues associated with electronic records and their preservation. Familiarity with archival metadata standards. Sound knowledge of Digital Preservation theory and practise. Proven ability to deal with multiple tasks in a courteous and service-oriented manner in demanding working conditions that often have short deadlines.
Knowledge and exposure to UNHCR Mandate, its principles and policies towards refugees and the persons of concern to UNHCR. Experience with Web Archiving and Digital Preservation Systems.
IM-Digital preservation and continuity
RC-Archives-Audio Visual Archives
RC-Digital archives delivery and management
RC-Enterprise content and records management systems
RC-Records and archives program implementation
RC-Records Management and Archives Principles, Practices and Standards
RC-Records Management Systems
For International Professional and Field Service jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English.
For National Professional jobs: Knowledge of English and UN working language of the duty station if not English and local language.
For General Service jobs: Knowledge of English and/or UN working language of the duty station if not English.
This is a Standard Job Description for all UNHCR jobs with this job title and grade level. The Operational Context may contain additional essential and/or desirable qualifications relating to the specific operation and/or position. Any such requirements are incorporated by reference in this Job Description and will be considered for the screening, shortlisting and selection of candidates.
C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
M003L2 - Judgement and Decision Making Level 2
X001L2 - Analytical Thinking Level 2
X003L2 - Technological Awareness Level 2
X005L2 - Planning and Organizing Level 2
The UNHCR workforce consists of many diverse nationalities, cultures, languages and opinions. UNHCR seeks to sustain and strengthen this diversity to ensure equal opportunities as well as an inclusive working environment for its entire workforce. Applications are encouraged from all qualified candidates without distinction on grounds of race, colour, sex, national origin, age, religion, disability, sexual orientation and gender identity.
Please note that UNHCR does not charge a fee at any stage of its recruitment process (application, interview, meeting, travelling, processing, training or any other fees).
Please note that the closing date for vacancies in this addendum is Monday 7 December 2020 (midnight Geneva time).