Business Intelligence and Information Mgmt Technician (Temporary post based in Barcelona)
Médecins Sans Frontières is an international independent medical-humanitarian organization, which offers assistance to populations in distress, to victims of natural or man-made disasters and to victims of armed conflict, without discrimination and irrespective of race, religion, creed or political affiliation.
MSF is a civil society initiative that brings together individuals committed to the assistance of other human beings in crisis. As such MSF is by choice an association.
Each individual working with MSF does it out of conviction and is ready to uphold the values and principles of MSF.
The MSF movement is built around five operational directorates supported by MSF’s 21 sections, 24 associations and other offices together worldwide. MSF OCBA is one of those directorates. The operations are implemented by field teams and the mission coordination teams; together with the organizational units based in Barcelona, Athens and decentralised in Nairobi, Dakar and Amman. The field operations are guided and supported by 5 Operational Cells, the Emergency Unit and other departments supporting operations, including the Medical Department and Projects & IT.
DESCRIPTION OF THE POSITION
MSF-OCBA is continuously adapting processes and tools to improve efficiency and quality of data and information management. In the framework of the MSF-OCBA Strategic Plan, in general, and aligned with the objectives of the Projects and IT department, in particular, BI and Information Mgmt Technician will participate in consolidating the Information Management and Business Intelligence team as a key partner for our internal customers by:
- Modernizing and streamlining its platforms and processes in order to harmonize them with the latest working paradigms and technologies. The P&IT department is heavily investing in the creation of state-of-the-art collaborative environments to support the organization´s goals regarding information sharing and cooperation, always propped up by the right set of applications and platforms.
- Ensuring the integrity of the Organization and its stakeholders´ information. Not only the information has to be consistent, available and accurate, but also it has to be secure.
- Providing all the stakeholders within the Organization with easy to access and reliable tools using the latest technologies resulting in scalable and high-performing platforms.
Participate in the transformation of MSF-OCBA into a genuinely data-driven organization by applying the latest Information management and Business Intelligence technologies, tools and techniques to the existing portfolio of IT applications and services. Additionally, provide a hands-on support to the daily operations and maintenance tasks of a set of database platforms.
PLACEMENT WITHIN THE ORGANISATIONAL CHART
The BI and Information Mgmt Technician will work within the PMO team, part of the Projects & IT department. S/he will report to the Head of PMO, Governance & Information Security.
S/he will work closely with the members of the P&IT team and especially the Information Management Manager and the Business Intelligence Manager.
The BI and Information Mgmt Technician will work closely with different internal clients, e.g. Medical, Finance, Operational and HR departments, at the headquarters and with field missions and decentralized offices. Occasionaly, s/he will also cooperate with third-party service providers supporting the department´s infrastructure and operations on a day-to-day basis.
RESPONSIBILITIES AND MAIN TASKS
With the support and guidance of the Information Management Manager and the Business Intelligence Manager, the incumbent is expected to:
- Propose feasible solutions to setbacks and unforeseen issues based on own experience and independent research of technologies related to Information and Business Intelligence platforms.
- Treat user and organization information following internal confidentiality and security policies, i.e. program and execute regular database backups, integrate General Data Protection Regulations, etc.
- Maintain and strengthen the relationship with our internal customers by providing appropriate and timely support.
- Act with professionalism and represent MSF values under any circumstances.
Related to Business Intelligence:
- Develop and maintain periodic and ad-hoc reports / dashboards, ensuring consistency with customer requirements and the policies of the Organization.
- Guarantee that the reports, dashboards and scorecards are presented to the final customer using relevant and accurate data. Additionally, guarantee that they run smoothly and are delivered using the appropriate communication channels.
- Respond to the internal customers’ queries and use Reporting technologies and tools to translate raw data into sound reports and meaningful information.
- Support the implementation of a new data warehouse based on Microsoft technologies (on Microsoft cloud)
- Write SQL queries to assist with data analytics, maintain existing database scripts for ongoing organizational processes.
Related to Information Management:
- Carry out the support and maintenance tasks in the different document management sites and channels (Workspaces, Field kits, Knowledge Hubs, Newsletters…) and technologies (sharepoint, teams, yammer, onedrive, youtube…) to ensure proper operation.
- Carry out the first line support to final users incidences, requests and improvements. And maintain the related knowledge base.
- Create the final users training contents and coordinate the training programs for final users on new solutions and procedures implemented in the area to ensure compliance with procedures and the efficient use of applications.
- Facilitate the management of change in document management, information and learning, supporting the hierarchical line and other projects that use their solutions
- Implement and maintain OCBA's document management and information standards, together with their owners, to guarantee their integration, use and adequate internal, local and international interconnection
- Participate in the validation tests of the system and document management procedures
- Work with external teams, according to the project management framework, to guarantee the functioning of the systems and the resolution of incidents to guarantee access to information.
- Promote that the transversalities with other departments and processes are adequately treated to find the most efficient solutions
Education and experience
- University Degree, preferably related to engineering (Computer Sciences, Telecommunications, Industrial Engineering, Computer Technician, or similar), Library Science, or Multimedia and Comunications.
- Desirable 1-2 years of experience working with Office 365 ecosystem, e.g. SharePoint Online, PowerApps, Flow, Delve, Teams, etc. an advantage.
- Desirable 1-2 years of experience working with ADocuments Management or Digital Archives. E.g SharePoint, Alfresco… an advantage.
- Desirable 1-2 years of experience working with some reporting tool (Microsoft PowerBI would be desirable but other like Tableau, QlikView would be ok).
- Desirable experience applying mathematical and statistical models to carry out historical data analysis, and provide data-driven trends when possible.
- Desirable experience querying with SQL language.
- Desirable experience developing database solutions at a business level using Microsoft technologies, i.e. SQL Server and Azure SQL database.
- Desirable experience working in a project/environment that used any agile framework.
- Languages: Fluent in Spanish and English. French desirable.
- Commitment to MSF’s Principles
- Cross-cultural Awareness
- Behavioural Flexibility
- Stress Management
- Analytical Thinking
- Results and Quality Orientation
- Service Orientation
- Planning and Organising
- Teamwork and Cooperation
- Temporary position based in Barcelona MSF-OCBA headquarters
- Initial 1-year contract with the possibility of extension.
- Annually gross salary: €30.314,30 (divided in 12 monthly payments) plus secondary benefits based on MSF-OCBA Reward Policy.
- Starting date: immediately
HOW TO APPLY
- To apply, all applicants should please send their CV and cover motivation letter under the reference “BI and Info Mgmt " to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Please submit your CV and cover letter in ONE file and name the file with your LAST NAME.
- Closing date: 07/08/2019
- Replies will only be sent to short-listed candidates.
Médecins Sans Frontieres, as a responsible employer, under article 38 of “Ley de Integración Social del Minusválido de 1982 (LISMI)” invite those persons with a recognized disability and with an interest in the humanitarian area to apply for the above-mentioned position.