Snr Archives Assistant
Family Location Type
Procedures and Eligibility
Interested applicants should consult the Administrative Instruction on Recruitment and Assignment of Locally Recruited Staff (RALS).
Duties and Qualifications
Senior Archives Assistant
Records and Archives Section (RAS) is responsible for ensuring that the Organization's records are managed through their life cycle in accordance with international standards and UN regulations, as a foundation for the governance and accountability of the organization. RAS makes the experience of UNHCR, as embodied in its records and related materials, available to guide and assist the Organization in planning and conducting its activities. Also, RAS provides information to meet the research needs of the persons of concern to UNHCR, UNHCR Staff and stakeholder, the scholarly community, and the general public.
The Senior Archives Assistant functions under direct supervision of a professional Archivist who provides regular guidance and advice. Subject to the nature of the task/assignment, the incumbent will work independently on routine tasks, and will request and follow instructions of the supervisor for more complex issues.
- UNHCR records are transferred to RAS, stored, organized, disposed, preserved, protected and accessed according to UNHCR Records and Archives procedures and guidelines in the established recordkeeping and archival systems and facilities.
- Proactively guide and assist units, offices and working groups to implement filing structures compliant with UNHCR standards and adapted to their needs.
- Implement UNHCR Records and Archives procedures and guidelines.
- Monitor digital and physical records centres and archival repositories.
- Maintain access and permissions of electronic filing systems.
- Support and train users.
- Arrange digital and physical spaces.
- Monitor compliance with recordkeeping procedures and guidelines and take necessary actions to correct errors.
- Produce accurate inventories of physical records transferred to Archives.
- Apply records schedules to electronic and physical records.
- Manage transfers of records from UNHCR units and offices.
- Maintain electronic and physical repositories in good order and use the space efficiently.
- Take the necessary actions to ensure the integrity and security of files in the repositories
- Search for and provide information to users and researchers in accordance with UNHCR access policy.
- Prepare files for researchers.
- Monitor the research room.
- Digitize records and archives for preservation and dissemination when requested by the Archivist.
- Facilitate digital access to physical records in the Archives.
- Coordinate with archival and logistics service providers.
- Perform other relevant duties as required.
- Correct errors in recordkeeping systems.
- Search for, access and view all type of materials in the recordkeeping systems and within the Archives.
- Withdraw or redact confidential materials, under the instructions from the Archivist.
- Manage access and permissions in UNHCR recordkeeping systems.
- Prepare records for destruction.
- Access and process transfers of documents.
- Retrieve and provide files to internal researchers.
- Capture specified significant records for maintenance in recordkeeping systems and archival repositories.
ESSENTIAL MINIMUM QUALIFICATIONS AND PROFESSIONAL EXPERIENCE REQUIRED
2 years relevant experience with High School Diploma; or 1 year relevant work experience with Bachelor or equivalent or higher
- Experience using digital recordkeeping systems.
- Fluency in English.
DESIRABLE QUALIFICATIONS & COMPETENCIES
- Training in Archives and/or Records Management.
- Fluency in French.
C001L2 - Accountability Level 2
C002L2 - Teamwork & Collaboration Level 2
C003L2 - Communication Level 2
C004L2 - Commitment to Continuous Learning Level 2
C005L2 - Client & Result Orientation Level 2
C006L2 - Organizational Awareness Level 2
X005L2 - Planning and Organizing Level 2
X008L2 - Stakeholder Management Level 2
X009L2 - Change Capability and Adaptability Level 2
Knowledge of English is Essential, and knowledge of French is Desirable.
Candidates will be required to sit a test for this Job Opening.
Closing date for submissions or applications is 01 December 2020.