Job Number: 1800648
Under the general supervision of the Deputy Division Chief of the Knowledge Management & Outreach Systems Division in the Information Technology Department (ITD), the Section Chief has direct responsibility for the management of the staff of the Archives and Records Management (ARM) section. It requires an individual who has deep domain knowledge in archives and records management, experience with relevant technologies supporting these functions for both physical and digital records, excellent leadership and strong managerial skills. Ability to articulate a vision, manage projects and operations, and formulate and manage budgets is a must. Requires excellent oral and written communication skills.
The Section Chief is responsible for ARM functions that include: i) records/archives policy development, ii) physical records management, iii) physical archives management and logistics (documents, photographs, videos), iv) maintenance of the IMF's file plan/records series and associated retention schedules across content types (documents, photographs, videos, email, web content, database content, etc.), v) reference service to support internal and external research, vi) declassification of IMF records, vii) digital archives – internal and external, viii) digital records management, ix) outreach and consultation with business units, x) training on records management policies, procedures and systems, and xi) maintenance of the IMF's Enterprise Business Vocabulary (EBV). The Section Chief is responsible for strategic planning, organizing, executing, controlling, and monitoring the archives and records management work. Since the IMF does not currently have a functional digital records management capability and its digital archives capability is limited, the Section Chief must have a vision and ability to execute a plan to modernize the work of the section and implement these capabilities to support a broader IMF digitalization strategy. The Section Chief should have a proven track record of successfully implementing a modern digital records management and archives capability in another organization. Experience with archives and records management in another international organization is considered a benefit.
- Develops the vision and strategy for the archives and records management in the IMF informed by the institution’s information needs and business strategy.
- Develops and oversees an integrated and standardized lifecycle approach to the management of the IMF's records and archives - regardless of their format and medium.
- Oversees compliance with the archives and records policies.
- Leads the review of archives and records management policies and guidelines. Drafts policy notes and memos.
- Ensures compliance with the IMF's open archives (transparency) policy and the timely declassification of records for public access.
- Highlights areas of business and reputational risk related to the work of the section.
- Participates actively with the Deputy Division Chief and Division Chief by providing input into division-wide planning and goal setting.
- Establishes the ARM’s annual work plan and objectives aligned with divisional goals and the ITD Accountability Framework,
- Establishes and manages the ARM’s annual administrative and capital budgets.
- Determines priorities, supervises staff, allocates work based on available resources.
- Successfully delivers on the section’s projects in terms of business outcomes, schedule and budget.
- Manages ARM’s communications and outreach program to ensure that the section has deep insight into the work of the IMF and to promote healthy records management across the institution.
- Ensures the effective and appropriate use of new work practices and technologies in archives and records management.