Vacancy for a post of Document Management and Data Protection Officer (AD 5) in the European Asylum Support Office (EASO)
Title of function Document Management and Data Protection Officer
1. WE ARE
The European Asylum Support Office (hereinafter referred to as "EASO"), established by Regulation 439/20101, strengthens European Union (EU) Member States practical cooperation on asylum, enhances the implementation of the Common European Asylum System (CEAS) and supports Member States whose asylum and reception systems are under particular pressure.
1 Regulation (EU) No 439/2010 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 19 May 2010 (OJ L 132, 25.5.2010, p.11).
Specifically, EASO focuses on three main tasks:
1. Supporting practical cooperation among Member States on asylum mainly through training, quality activities, country of origin information (COI), statistics and analysis, specialized expert networks, practical cooperation workshops, thematic support on unaccompanied minors, trafficking in human beings and gender;
2. Supporting Member States under particular pressure through emergency support, including the deployment of asylum support teams to assist EU Member States in managing asylum applications and in putting in place appropriate reception facilities;
3. Contributing to the implementation of the CEAS by collecting and exchanging information on best practices, drawing up an annual report on the asylum situation in the EU covering the whole asylum procedure in EU Member States and adopting technical documents, on the implementation of the new EU asylum acquis.
The organisation chart of EASO can be consulted in the EASO Work Programme on EASO website (www.easo.europa.eu).
The headquarters of EASO are located in Valletta Harbour (Malta). 2
2. WE PROPOSE
The Document Management and Data Protection Officer will work under the Head of the General Affairs and Administration Unit to develop and implement the agency’s document management strategy. He/She will develop policies and procedures for document management; organise an intermediary archive rooms for hard/copy files; help implement in cooperation with ICT an electronic document management system. Furthermore, he/she will act as EASO Data Protection Officer and monitor the application of Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 on the protection of personal data.
His/her main duties will be to:
1. Assist the Head of the General Affairs and Administration Unit in planning and implementing document management strategy;
2. Draft, update and implement policies and retention schedules for document management;
3. Organise an intermediary archive rooms with shelves and coordinate the transfer of hard/copy files from Centres/Unit to this archive room;
4. Implement in close cooperation with IT colleagues, an electronic document management system;
5. Help design enhancements to the Electronic Document Management System (EDMS), collecting requirements from Centres/Units;
6. Develop file plans and indexing, where appropriate, to simplify the use of the Electronic Document Management System (EDMS);
7. Help guarantee document authenticity, particularly in an electronic environment;
8. Review and recommend requests for records equipment, services and supplies;
9. Advise the Head of the General Affairs and Administration Unit on Personal Data Protection issues in line with Regulation (EC) No 45/2001 and monitor its application by the European Asylum Support Office;
10. Act as the Data Protection Officer of the European Asylum Support Office;
11. Abide by the Charter of Tasks and Responsibilities of the Data Protection Officer;
12. Carry out other related tasks as requested.
3. WE LOOK FOR
A) Eligibility criteria
Candidates will be considered eligible for selection on the basis of the following formal criteria to be fulfilled by the deadline for applications:
1. Have a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 4 years attested by a diploma2 or
2 Only diplomas and certificates that have been awarded in EU Member States or that are the subject of equivalence certificates issued by authorities in the said Member States shall be taken into consideration.
a level of education which corresponds to completed university studies of at least 3 years attested by a diploma, and after having obtained the diploma, appropriate professional experience of 1 year;
2. Be nationals of one of the Member States of the European Union or of associate countries that have concluded arrangements on their participation in EASO;
3. Be entitled to their full rights as citizens;
4. Have fulfilled any obligations imposed on them by the laws on military service;
5. Possess a thorough knowledge of one of the official EU languages and a satisfactory knowledge of another of these languages to the extent necessary for the performance of the duties pertaining to the post;
6. Meet the character requirements for the duties involved3;
7. Be physically fit to perform the duties linked to the post4.
3 Before the appointment, the successful candidate shall be asked to provide an extract from their police file.
4 Before the appointment, a successful candidate shall be medically examined by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.
B) Selection criteria
If the eligibility criteria set out above are met, candidates will be assessed on the basis of the following selection criteria. The most suitable candidates evaluated on the basis of the selection criteria will be invited to an interview.
1. Professional experience with tasks related to those described under functions and duties.
1. Professional experience in a position related to the aforementioned duties, preferably in a European Institution, Agency or Body;
2. Post-graduate degree obtained in a field relevant for the above mentioned functions and duties;
3. Previous experience within an international and multicultural environment;
If selected for interview, candidates may also be assessed in the interview on the basis of the following criteria:
1. Ability to use electronic office equipment and applications (word processing, spread sheets, presentations, electronic communication, internet etc.);
2. Ability to work under pressure and meet deadlines on multiple tasks;
3. Excellent analytical capabilities and problem-solving skills;
4. Good communication skills and well developed interpersonal skills;
5. Strong service-oriented attitude and flexibility;
6. Accuracy and attention to details;
7. Knowledge of the mission and organisation of EASO.
Excellent written and oral command of English, as well as ability to use electronic office equipment and applications (word processing, spread sheets, presentations, electronic communication, internet etc.) are essential. Candidates will be also assessed on the above by written test.
4. SELECTION AND APPOINTMENT
The Regulation which provides the legal basis for EASO was adopted in May 2010 (Official Journal of the European Union L 132 of 29.5.2010).
Eligibility of candidates will be assessed by a Selection Committee according to compliance with all eligibility criteria by the closing date for the submission of applications.
The applications of the eligible candidates will also be assessed against the selection criteria. Following that assessment, the best ranked candidates may be invited for a written competency test and an interview, which will be held for the most part in English.
The interview will consist of the following components:
General aptitude and language abilities to the extent necessary for the performance of their duties in accordance with Article 12.2(e) of the Conditions of Employment of other Servants of the European Communities (CEOS);
Specific competences with reference to the applicants' profiles in line with the selection criteria of the present Vacancy Notice.
Candidates invited to an interview will be required to bring with them originals and copies or officially certified copies of the documents listed below:
A document proving their citizenship (e.g. passport);
Certificates attesting their educational and professional qualifications, in particular those giving access to the profile in question;
Documentary evidence of their professional experience after the date on which the candidate obtained the qualification giving access to the profile in question, clearly indicating the starting and finishing dates, whether full or part time, and the nature of the duties carried out.
The Selection Committee will propose a short list of successful candidates to the Appointing Authority, who will decide on the appointment of the successful candidate and the establishment of a reserve list for the post advertised. Candidates shall note that inclusion on the reserve list does not guarantee recruitment. Recruitment will be based on availability of posts and budget.
The reserve list for this post will be valid until 31 December 2015 and may be extended at the discretion of the Appointing Authority.
Prior to contract signature, the successful candidate will be asked to undergo a compulsory medical examination by one of the institutions' medical officers in order that EASO may be satisfied that he/she fulfils the requirement of Article 28(e) of the Staff Regulations of the Officials of the European Communities.
5. EQUAL OPPORTUNITIES
EASO applies an equal opportunities policy and accepts applications without distinction on the grounds of sex, race, colour, ethnic or social origin, genetic features, language, religion, political or any other opinion, membership of a national minority, property, birth, disability, age or sexual orientation. 5
6. CONDITIONS OF EMPLOYMENT
The temporary agent will be appointed by the Executive Director, upon recommendation of the Selection Committee, following the selection procedure.
He/she will be recruited as a temporary agent pursuant to Article 2(f) of the CEOS for a period of 5 years which may be renewed. The temporary agent post in question will be placed in group AD 5.
Successful candidates who are recruited will undergo an initial probation period of nine months.
The pay for a Temporary Agent, AD 5 (step 1) consists of a basic salary of 4 384,38€weighted by the correction coefficient (for Malta currently 84.4%) supplemented with various allowances, including family allowances. The salaries of staff members are subject to a Community tax deducted at source. Staff members are exempt from national tax on salary and are members of the Community social security and pension schemes.
For further information on working conditions of temporary staff please refer to CEOS: http://eur-lex.europa.eu/LexUriServ/LexUriServ.do?uri=CONSLEG:1962R0031:20140101:EN:PDF
The place of employment is Valletta Harbour (Malta).
7. APPLICATION PROCEDURE
For applications to be valid, candidates shall:
Use and duly complete the official application form provided on the EASO website;
Send their application to by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the deadline;
The subject of the e-mail should include the reference of this vacancy, followed by the candidate's surname.
Incomplete applications will be disqualified and treated as non-eligible. Candidates who use the same application to apply for more than one post will also be disqualified.
Please note that the selection process may take several months.
Supporting documents (e.g. certified copies of degrees/diplomas, references, proof of experience, etc.) should not be sent at this stage but must be submitted at a later stage of the procedure when requested.
In order to facilitate the selection process, all correspondence to candidates concerning this vacancy will be in English.
Under no circumstances should candidates approach the Selection Committee, directly or indirectly, concerning this recruitment. The Appointing Authority reserves the right to disqualify any candidate who disregards this instruction.
Closing date and time:
The closing date and time for submission of the applications is Monday, 19 January 2015 at 13:00h (Brussels time). EASO will disregard any application received after that date and time.
Applicants are strongly advised not to wait until the last day to submit their applications, since heavy internet traffic or a fault with the internet connection could lead to difficulties in submission. The EASO cannot be held responsible for any delay due to such difficulties.
If at any stage in the procedure it is established that any of the information provided by a candidate is incorrect, the candidate in question will be disqualified. 6
8. DATA PROTECTION
The purpose of processing of the data submitted by the candidate is to manage application(s) of the candidate in view of a possible pre-selection and recruitment at EASO.
EASO does not make public the names of successful candidates on reserve lists. However, it is possible that, for the purposes of recruitment and related planning purposes, members of the EASO management team may have access to reserve lists and, in specific cases, to the application form of a candidate (without supporting documents, which are kept in confidence by the personnel department). Application files are kept for five years from the establishment date of the reserve list after which time they are destroyed.
The personal information requested will be processed in line with Regulation (EC) N° 45/2001 of the European Parliament and of the Council of 18 December 2000 on the protection of individuals with regard to the processing of personal data by the EU institutions and bodies and on the free movement of such data.
9. APPEAL PROCEDURES
If a candidate considers that he/she has been adversely affected by a particular decision, he/she can lodge a complaint under Article 90(2) of the Staff Regulations of Officials of the European Communities and the CEOS, at the following address:
The Executive Director
European Asylum Support Office
MTC Block A, Winemakers Wharf, Grand Harbour Valletta, MRS 1917
The complaint must be lodged within three months. The time limit for initiating this type of procedure starts to run from the time the candidate is notified of the act adversely affecting him/her.